Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Future

I'm very excited about the future. I have been reading How to Make Webcomics, and realized that this might be a great way to get my comic out to more people. I thought about my goals for the comic.

I have a regular day job, which I love, but I have always had the itch to create comics, starting back in 1994 with my anthology Skit, and then Tales of the Mans. In 1997, I published my own full size comic, and at that point I realized that it would be extremely tough for me to make a living a through comics. So I went back to school and earned a degree in education. I figured that being a teacher would give me the summers off and allow me to draw comics during that time. Last summer, I began to work on Get That Chicken very seriously. I started and thought I would be able to do a couple of 10-15 page stories each year and put them out as mini comics. After the summer, I realized I was making my stories to long. So, I decided to cut down the length of my stories and reworked the original 14 page story into three 5 pagers. The first two being issues #1 & 2, with issue #3 finishing up that story.

Working on shorter stories appears to help me get the work done. Lets face it 5 pages is much easier to complete than 15 pages. However after reading How to Make Webcomics, I realized 1 page would be easier to complete than 5 pages. Yet, I did not think I could fit all my comments and stories ideas into 1 page. At that point I realized, I did not have to, I could focus on one idea or thought for each page and then when they pages were read together they would form a longer story.

At this point, I feel like I'm rambling. Basically my goal is to continue to put out a 6-8 page mini comic on a bi-monthly basis. At the end of each year, collect all those minis in a slightly thicker mini to sell. Starting in 2009, I plan on having a weekly webcomic of Get That Chicken up and running. At first the mini will be about a year ahead of the webcomic, but eventually the webcomic will be ahead of the minis.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about the future of Get That Chicken, and hope many of you will join me on my journey.

take care,

dennmann

No comments: