Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Making a New Figure Part 3

With the toilet paper rolls hot glued into place and marked, the molds are ready to be poured.  I mark the outside of my toilet paper rolls to indicate where the front, back and pins are so I know where the side is when cutting the molds after they cure. 

I use Mold Star 16 Fast to create my molds. I have used other products but this is the one that I like the best. Also, don't forget to spray the pieces with some type of release agent, I use Stoner Rocket Release. (you can see a can in the background of the picture above.)


Once the molds are done curing, I cut out the pieces. This is probably the hardest part for me, because I cannot see the pieces. I'm not sure what others do, I have tried taking pictures and using them to help me cut, but really the markings that I mentioned above are what help me the most. After the molds are cut I use rubber bands to seal them up tightly and prepare to pour.


I use Smooth-Cast 305 Urethane Resin. For my first pour I do not spray the molds with any release agent, but will do so after the first pull and depending on the temperature, once every 3 to 5 pulls.


After drilling a couple holes in the figure for the piece to be inserted into I have a figure. If the piece come out really sweaty I will use baking soda to let them sit in over night. I have not done this for about a year, I'm not sure what has changed, but my piece are not as sweaty as they use to be.

Next: I paint the figure.

No comments: