Saturday, December 31, 2022

Space Monstas: A New Beginning

Note: If you have not read the NEW Scace Monstas strip, there are visual spoilers ahead.

It has been a while. I have been working hard on making stuff, but things just have not felt right for a while. However I cannot just keep waiting for things to feel right, so it is time to move forward. Today I'm releasing a NEW Space Monstas strip over on Instagram at @spacemonstas


The origins of this strip start when I picked up a copy of Grass of Parnassus by Kathryn and Stuart Immonen (pick up a copy at your local comic shop or from Amazon). I read it, then re-read it and read it for a third time. I was obsessed with this book. Apparently this was a collection of strips that they had done on Instagram. Unfortunately at that point the strips had been removed from Instagram, so I could not see what they looked like in that environment, but I could imagine. And image is what I did, but I started to imagine using my Space Monstas characters, who had been hiatus at the time.

The paper below spent about a month sitting on my desk at work under my Wacom tablet, below my mouse and laptop computer. I would scribble on it a little each day and thing about what I was going to do and how to do it, YouTube is excellent for how to videos.


Shortly over a weekend I became possessed with the idea and drew the whole strip in about 8 hours.
Although some things were not to my liking, so I began to work on the next strip, while continuing to noodle the details of the strip. 



Up until the typing of this email I'm still making some minor changes,but I think the strip is ready for the world. I have 2 other strips done. The plan is to release a new strip on the 1st of each month over at the @spacemonstas Instagram account. I hope I can keep up with this schedule. I have already shelved a strip because it just wasn't working, which set me back quite a bit. However I think this way of working has done wonders for me creatively. 

Enjoy and thanx for reading,

-denny

 

No comments: